The Department of Infrastructure has notified the industry of the necessity of mandatory streetworks training and certification for all streetworks undertaken on the Isle of Man. After consulting with the DoI, we have confirmed that the initial implementation date for the new requirement has been rolled back and will now come into force in two separate phases.
Streetworks has now been added as a category under the CIOM Accreditation Scheme. Any business that works on any highway must be a registered member of CIOM under the new category.
Streetworks has also been incorporated into the CIOM Certification Card Scheme, and a new Streetworks card is now available through the CIOM office. Contractors may register their qualifications with the CIOM Certification Card Scheme and be issued their Streetworks Card as proof of their qualifications. This requirement will come into force on 1 September 2023.
Any business looking to undertake streetworks will be required to hold a company registration with the CIOM Accreditation Scheme, and all individuals employed to undertake streetworks will be required to hold the required qualifications under the CIOM Certification Card Scheme.
To register a business under the new category of streetworks, the applicant company must provide proof of the following qualifications by 1 September 2023:
Applicants may apply for their Streetworks card through the CIOM Certification Card online Application form.
On 1, September 2024, additional Certification Scheme requirements will come into force as follows:
- Excavation in the highway
- Reinstatement & compaction of backfill materials
- Reinstatement of sub-base and road-base in non-bituminous materials
- Reinstatement of cold lay bituminous materials
- Reinstatement of hot lay bituminous materials
- Reinstatement of reinforced concrete
- Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways
Supervisors will also be required to hold the following qualifications:
- Monitoring signing, lighting and guarding
- Monitoring excavation in the highway
- Monitoring reinstatement & compaction of backfill materials
- Monitoring reinstatement of sub-base and road-base in non-bituminous materials
- Monitoring reinstatement in bituminous materials
- Monitoring reinstatement of reinforced concrete
- Monitoring reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways
Each of the above categories may be added to any existing streetworks CIOM Certification Card with a valid certificate from an approved training provider. An updated card will be issued to the cardholder at no additional cost.
If you have any questions about the new requirements, please contact the CIOM office.